There is boutique hiding out between the fractured, narrow store-fronts lining New Gotham’s foggy docks. Huge bay side windows offer the passerby a mesmerizing view of the wares inside. The mannequins are stitched together from scraps of mismatched human skin, but you hardly notice the gore. Everywhere you look there are gorgeous dresses with big, sparkling bell skirts and gauzy tulle trains, the kind of gowns and garments that only fairy tale nobility would wear. Behind the antique register counter, you can make out the glittering impression of ruby red slippers, glass heels, and other magical shoes. You’re starting to wonder who owns this place.
Push open the store’s shabby front door and step lightly onto its waxy polished floors. You’re greeted by a bouquet of seductive scents: cedar musk, wood polish, and fresh lavender. You take a deep breath, and the smells warm you from the inside out. Trust you’re in good hands. The brochure stand near the front door is stocked with elegant parchment pamphlets. According to the literature, the witches who own this establishment are schooled in the ways of “fabric-bending” by the Needlewitches of old.
They’ve used this knowledge to create an entire line of clothing that all share the same basic design element: one-size fits all. Each garment will magically tailor itself to its wearer once worn. Of course, there might be some fine print or some “twirling” required, but a vampire’s steady hand should turn every wardrobe change into a stolen moment. Remember, Cinderella had mice–you have the Witches-Who-Stitch.
Please provide the witches with your name:
Please provide the witches with the following:
Hair Color: Red
Hair Length: [ ] Short and Sassy, [ ] Medium and Modern, [X] Lush and Long
Eye Color: Grey/Blue/Green, depending on mood
Skin Tone: [ ] Ghoulish, [ ] Snow White, [ ] Cina-baby, [ ] Mochalicious, [ ] Dark Chocolate, [X] Other: Caramel
Please provide the witches with your measurements and body-type.
a.) Height: 5’3”
b.) Body Type: [ ] Skeletal, [ ] Lean and Tender, [X] Lean and Tough, [ ] Ripe and Edible
Do you have any extra extremities? Place an “X” to all that apply.
[ ] Horns or [ ] Halo
[ ] 20 ft. of Hair or More
[X] Gills and Fins or [ ] Hooves
[ ] Wings (Span: )
[X] Tail (How many: 1)
How many heads do you have?
Do you have arms and legs? If so, how many?
Two arms. No legs…yet.
How dead are you?
[X] Living, [ ] Undead, [ ] Astral Form
What are you? (Species/Breed)
What is the occasion? (Ideas include: Wedding, Funeral, Sabbath, etc. Oh, and seduction is a valid occasion. The more details, the better.)
The plan is to visit the sea witch in order to acquire a pair of legs. If it works, I need something that will help me blend in when I visit the royal castle. If it doesn’t, I’d like something that could be modified to wear with my tail for my extended trips to the surface to visit the families of sailors I’ve saved. Humans seem to have odd ideas about nudity and it was recently brought to my attention by a kind village woman that I’ve got to do something with my breasts. Apparently, my hair covering them isn’t enough.
What’s the occasion setting? (Beach, haunted castle, grand ball, etc.)
Either the royal castle, or the beach. I realize I’m being difficult, but I’m afraid I’m stuck between two very different worlds and I’m not sure as yet which one I’ll be visiting.
Will you be running for your life at some point in the evening? (Helps with shoe selection.)
For the love of the Seven Seas, I hope not. I’m not sure how difficult walking on legs will be, but if the sailors are anything to judge by, it can be quite difficult, particularly after a great deal of rum. If danger does present itself, I believe I’ll be sticking around to fight instead of testing what I hope to be a new knowledge of bipedal locomotion.
Will you be set on fire? Better yet, will you be setting other people on fire?
Will you be grave-robbing? (Dirt is a dressmaker’s tedium.)
Is your neck a dinner plate?
For what? What sort of creature eats sideways?
Do you hope to be naked at some point in the evening? (All right, dirty birds. Such questions are actually intended toward the weres and shifters in regards to their transformations.)
I suppose I will be at the beginning. That’s sort of why I’m here for your help…
Describe your last brush with Death in two sentences. (Helps us plan for the unexpected.)
A drunken sailor fired a harpoon at me thinking I was a large fish. Fortunately, even drunk, he knew fish don’t have breasts, so there was no attempt for a second shot.
Do you need a secret compartment for weapons, wands, tampons, etc.?
I don’t believe so. Unless you think I won’t be permitted to carry my trident into the royal palace?
What are your three favorite colors?
Abalone, gold, sea foam
What two colors rattle your kettle?
Blood (never a good sign in the water, tends to attract large predators) and black
Please pick a style that you feel embodies you the best. If none apply, feel free to surprise us by providing your own brilliant description in the “other” slot.
[ ] Rockabilly Starlet: This is for the spoonfuls of sugar. The good-natured and naughty girl next door types. Candy is the business and fairy tales are ultimate. More often than not, her head is in the clouds and her nose in the book. Our dreamers.
[ ] Leather Queen: This is for the warrior princesses. The type of girls who give boys a run for their money. Their style is killer, their kisses are murder, and they wear their jeans a little tight just watch the vampires come undone. These are hands for fighting and these heels for ass-kickings. Our protectors.
[ ] Medieval Mistress: This is for the no-nonsense girls. The ones who always know better, because they’re ten steps ahead. They’re schemers—their minds are always working. They’re not anti-social, they’re selective. Our wisdom.
[ ] Gothic Dame: This for the mysteries. No one can figure this woman out. She’s a mixture, a melting pot of sugar and sinister. She might be Rockabilly Starlet one day, or a Medieval Mistress other days. Our sisters.
[X] Other: Sinking Savior: This is for the perpetually stressed. A strong woman weighed down with responsibilities, and a personal dream-goal that is always “next” on her to do list. These women are too busy getting things done to sit and figure out what they want, but the lure of their fantasy keeps them going, always reaching, knowing that any day they’ll get their chance at a happily ever after–as soon as the rest of the world figures out how to clean up its own mess.
Who is your favorite fairy tale villain?
It’ll be the sea witch if she can give me a pair of legs…
If you could be any fairy tale princess, who would it be?
Now, tell us the twit you hate most.
Any idiot who goes sailing in a storm or harpooning with a mug of rum.
Anything else you’d like to add…
- -1000 yards of Twisted Thread (Imported from Rumpel)
- -100 yards of Cuddlefish Fabric (Blend of Chinese sea dragon and Avalon kraken hide.)
- -100 yards of Golden Fleece (Purchased from Jason of Aragon.)
- -100 yards of Standard Spider Silk (For undergarment/shift.)
- -50 yards of Void Fabric (Imported from the Veil)
- -30 yards of Neverland Gold Fish Fins (Very expensive.)
- -30 yards of Standard Gold Foil Trim
- -30 yards of Standard Gold Foil Tulle
- -12 oz of Humpback Whale Bone (For comb.)
- -1 Petrified Sea Anemone (Live animal. Be careful.)
- -1 pair of Seal Hide Slippers (From Hellish Heels.)
- Welcome to Sinister Stitches. I can’t imagine the journey you made to get here. Is that a shopping cart? (awkward silence) Anwyho, let's get to the business of your new dress. Now, if I’m perfectly honest, I’ve never designed a garment for a mermaid before, so I called on my mother for some advice. We decided on a form-fitting evening dress with some special touches. First, we choose a blend of Chinese lung (sea dragon) and Avalon kraken hide as the dominant fabric, and the glittering metallic scales act like a water resistant suit of armor. Nothing is getting through this bad boy. Not even a shark.
- Now, because of the close cut, the dress might feel constricting on anyone else, but you should feel perfectly natural. The design is streamlined, so you should be able to swim in the dress with absolutely no issue. To make sure the dress would look fabulous wet or dry; we lined the built-in chemise with Golden Fleece for moisture wicking. In the water, the fleece should help keep the dress close to your skin. On land, the fleece should help regulate your body temperature and speed up the drying process.
- Ah, yes. Your sleeves and the bottom skirts are made from several layers of Neverland gold fish fins. When wet, the fins should wrap around your arms and tail like a closed bloom. This should enable you to swim with relative ease, and no drag. On land, the Neverland fins will dry almost instantly, which will force the sleeves and skirt back to their original shape. Finally, we added some bunched, foiled tulle around the neckline to give you that extra earthly touch. Everything was designed to withstand travel, wrinkles, war—this is your go-to dress for almost any occasion. You’re welcome.
- Here’s your gift box. Inside you’ll find some waterproof makeup, a petrified sea anemone, a special comb, and a pair of special shoes. My mother insisted that merfolk should always wear shoes fashioned from Acheron Mountain seal hide. Rather than toss my elder sister into the wild with a spear, I managed to find you a lovely pair of seal slippers from Hellish Heels. They’re specifically made for land and sea, and they’re sand resistant. One whack and they’ll pristine and dirt-free. We recommend you tie them to loop we included on the side of your dress or bury them somewhere on the shore.
- The comb can be stored in the Void pockets installed on either side of your dress. The first tug through your tresses will instantly untangle, dry, and style curls. The second tug through your tresses will added a thick layer of pearls to the waves for extra effect. (I know, genius.) Also, those Void pockets are large enough for a weapon…or six. In any case, have a wonderful evening. And remember, take it one step at a time.
- [X] Medieval Mistress: This is for the no-nonsense girls. The ones who always know better, because they’re ten steps ahead. They’re schemers—their minds are always working. They're not anti-social, they're selective. Our wisdom.
Image Credit(s): volkoffa / 123RF Stock Photo